Heart diseases and Cancer have been identified as the two leading causes of death in the United States. When the treatment of one contributes to the prevalence of the other, it poses a unique and complicated condition. My research is focused on the cardiotoxicity of highly potent anthracycline antibiotics used in cancer chemotherapy. We look at the role of stress signaling pathways that are involved in the development of cardiotoxic effects and identify methods to inhibit these pathways. This can then protect the heart during cancer therapy while allowing the administration of more efficient doses of cancer drugs. We first test the effects of these drugs in mice hearts and we then compare the observed effects to those from human cardiac organotypic slice preparations. This work can thereby significantly impact both the fields of cardiology and oncology, or as they now call it – cardiac oncology.
- B.E. – Biomedical Engineering, Anna University, Chennai, India (2007-2011)
- PhD – Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA (2011-2016)
- Postodoctoral Scientist, The George Washington University (2016 – Present)
- American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship
- Paul E Torgersen Research Excellence Award
- VTCRI Medical Research Scholar
- David W Francis and Lillian Francis Scholarship
- American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Sharon A George, Zexu Lin, Igor R Efimov. Management of Cardiac Arrhythmias: Basic Principles of Cardiac Electrophysiology. Springer Nature. 2021.
- Sharon A George. Cardiac Bioelectric Therapy: Mechanisms and Practical Implications: History of Optical Mapping. 2nd Springer Nature. 2021.
- Jessica Miller, Moustafa H Meki, Qinghui Ou, Sharon A George, Anna Gams, Riham RE Abouleisa, Xian-Liang Tang, Brooke Ahern, Guruprasad A Giridharan, Ayman El-Baz, Bradford G Hill, Jonathan Satin, Daniel J Conklin, Javid Moslehi, Roberto Bolli, Alexandre JG Ribeiro, Igor R Efimov, Tamer MA Mohamed. Heart slice culture system reliably demonstrates clinical drug-related cardiotoxicity. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 2020. PMID: 32877659.
- Sharon A George, Alexi Kiss, Sofian N Obaid, Aileen Venegas, Trisha Talapatra, Tatiana Efimova, Igor R Efimov. p38d genetic ablation protects female mice from anthracycline cardiotoxicity. AJP Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 2020. PMID: 328222209.
- Sharon A George, Jaclyn A Brennan, Igor R Efimov. Preclinical Platform for Cardiac Electrophysiology Assessment by Dual Voltage and Calcium Optical Mapping of Human Organotypic Cardiac Slices. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2020. PMID: 32628156.
- Zexu Lin, Sharon A George. Cardiac Bioelectric Therapy: Mechanisms and Practical Implications: Newer Models of Cardiac Tissue. 2nd Springer Nature. 2020.
- Sharon A George, Igor R Efimov. Optocardiography: A review of its Past, Present, and Future. Current Opinion in Biomedical Engineering. 2019.
- Sharon A George, Patrick J Calhoun, Gregory Hoeker, Michael Entz II, Tristan B Raisch, D Ryan King, Momina Kahn, Chandra Baker, James W Smyth, Morten S Nielsen, Steven Poelzing. Modulating Cardiac Conduction during Metabolic Ischemia with Perfusate Sodium and Calcium in Guinea Pigs Hearts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2019. PMID: 30707595.
- Brianna Cathey, Sofian Obaid, Alexander M Zolotarev, Roman A Pryamonosov, Roman A Syunyaev, Sharon A George*, Igor R Efimov*. Open-Source Multiparametric Optocardiography. Sci Rep, 2019. PMID: 30679527.
- Sharon A George, N Rokhaya Faye, Alejandro Murillo-Berlioz, K Benjamin Lee, Gregory D Trachiotis, Igor R Efimov. At the Atrioventricular Crossroads: Dual Pathway Electrophysiology in the Atrioventricular node and its underlying heterogeneities. Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology Review, 2017. PMID: 29326832.
- Sharon A George, Patrick J Calhoun, Robert G Gourdie, James W Smyth, Steven Poelzing. TNFamodulates Cardiac Conduction by Altering Electrical Coupling between Myocytes. Front Physiol, 2017. PMID: 28588504
- Amara Greer-Short, Sharon A George, Steven Poelzing, Seth H Weinberg. Revealing the Concealed Nature of Long-QT Type 3 Syndrome. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol, 2017.PMID: 28213505
- Sharon A George, Mohammad Bonakdar, Michael Zeitz, Rafael V Davalos, James W Smyth, Steven Poelzing.Extracellular Sodium dependence of the Conduction Velocity
- Calcium Relationship: Evidence of Ephaptic Self-attenuation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 2016.PMID: 26945081
- Michael Entz II, Sharon A George, Michael J Zeitz, Tristan Raisch, James W Smyth, Steven Poelzing. HeartRate and Extracellular Sodium and Potassium Modulation of Gap Junction Mediated Conduction in Guinea Pigs. Front Physiol, 2016. PMID: 26869934
- Sharon A George, Steven Poelzing. Cardiac Conduction in Isolated Hearts of Genetically ModifiedMice – Connexin43 and Salts. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, 2015. PMID: 26627143
- Sharon A George, Katherine J Sciuto, Joyce Lin, Mohammed Salama, James Keener, Robert G Gourdie, Steven Poelzing. Extracellular Sodium and Potassium Levels Modulate Cardiac Conduction in MiceHeterozygous Null for the Connexin43 Gene. Pflugers Archiv – European Journal of Physiology, 2015.PMID: 25771952.